We’ve had a vast amount of requests (2) for Katie’s recipe that won the challenge so here it is.
Roasted Sweet Onions with Cabrales Blue Cheese
- 4 large Vidalia or other sweet onions, cut crosswise into 1-inch-thick slices
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 4 ounces Cabrales or other strong blue cheese, crumbled
- 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 tablespoons Sherry wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup sliced almonds, lightly toasted
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh chives
Preheat oven to 400°F. Arrange onions in single layer on rimmed baking sheet; drizzle 1/4 cup olive oil over; turn onions to coat. Sprinkle with salt. Roast until soft and brown on edges, turning every 15 minutes, about 1 hour. Transfer to platter. Sprinkle with salt and pepper. Cool. (Can be made 4 hours ahead. Cover; let stand at room temperature.)
Sprinkle cheese over onions. Drizzle 1/4 cup extra-virgin olive oil, then vinegar over cheese and onions. Sprinkle with almonds, then chives and serve.